I love cooking Filipino food and thankfully, so does my Hubsand. Many times when I cook, I tend to think of things my Grandma cooked for me as a kid (and even as I got older when I would visit). This is a recipe called Beef Afritada (can also use pork). I was taught to cook many things, but never really went off actual recipes. It was a bit tough for me to write out a recipe so I found this online which is similar to the way I was taught. So here is the dinner my family and I had the other night. Cooking this made me think of my Grandma knowing she was smiling down on me from Heaven....
Courtesy of Filipinos Abroad
What you'll need:
- 1 lb beef (or pork) cut into chunks
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 5 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped tomatoes (optional)
- 1/2 cup red and green bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 pc beef broth cube
- 1 oz tomato sauce
- 1 oz water
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1-1/2 cup chopped potatoes (I like to fry the potatoes just slightly browned on all sides)
- 3 pcs bay leaves
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Fish sauce or soy sauce (optional)
- Cook the beef (or pork) chunks in water until it is tender.
- Set the beef chunks aside and dump the water.
- On the same saucepan, heat some cooking oil.
- Sauté the garlic, followed by the onion and tomatoes.
- Add the red and green bell peppers.
- Add the beef broth cube.
- Add the cooked beef chunks. Mix well.
- Put the tomato sauce followed by the water. Mix well.
- Add the carrots and potatoes, then the bay leaves.
- Season with fish sauce or soy sauce and ground black pepper. (optional)
- Simmer until the potatoes are tender.
- Serve with steamed rice.
This is perfect for that cold evening or anytime. It makes for great leftovers too! Great with white rice and even brown rice! ENJOY!